The firm originally grew out of the friendship of the late Edward Hicks and Leonard Perry, who had been friends from their childhood, and graduated together from New Bedford High School in 1937. They met again after World War II as classmates at Harvard Law School, and both graduated in 1948. In 1965, together with Paul McCawley, they formed a law partnership named Perry, Hicks & McCawley, and began practice at the Masonic Building at 558 Pleasant Street, New Bedford. Now known as Perry Hicks, LLC, the firm has continuously practiced in New Bedford since its founding. Daniel Perry, son of Leonard Perry, is currently the firm’s managing partner.
The firm has been continuously awarded Martindale Hubble’s highest rating – av– since its founding. During its history, it has represented many of the leading institutions and businesses in southeastern Massachusetts. The firm has particularly specialized in municipal law, and has over time acted as counsel to eleven municipalities in the area, as well as a number of specialized districts and boards.
In 1991, the firm moved to its present location at the William Rodman House, a Greek revival mansion designed by Russell Warren originally constructed in 1833 and completely restored or renovated in 1988-1989.